Mumbai City Joins City Football Group Family

by Stevan Plavšić

Mumbai City has been acquired by Manchester City’s owners. City Football Group has agreed to purchase 65% of Mumbai City, with the current owner of the Indian soccer club – Bollywood actor Ranbir Kapoor and Bimal Parekh- owning the other 35%.

Mumbai City becomes the 8th club in CFG’s family

City Football Group is now officially a stakeholder in eight football clubs around the world. Current English champions Manchester City, MLS side New York City FC, and Australian A-League team Melbourne City. CFG is also minority shareholders in clubs in China, Spain, Uruguay, and Japan.

“We believe that this investment will deliver transformative benefits to Mumbai City FC, to City Football Group and to Indian Football as a whole,” chairman of CFG Khaldoon Al Mubar, said.

Mumbai FC was launched in 2014 and is yet to achieve major accomplishments. Arguably, the most famous player to ever wear their shirt was Diego Forlan. The Uruguayan was part of the team for three months in 2016 and managed to score 5 goals in 11 games.

The club has previously been managed by Manchester City greats Nicholas Anelka and Peter Reid, while the current manager is Portuguese Jorge Costa.

Mumbai City finished 3rd in last year’s Indian Super League, losing their Semi-Final playoff against Goa (5:2 on aggregate). Currently, the team sits at 7th place in the league table with 5 points from 5 games.

 

Leave a Comment

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy