Diversity is important to APSE and its members. APSE supports diversity efforts through a number of outreach efforts. And, we're open to new ideas. If you have a suggestion for APSE, please email directly the APSE president.
APSE's current diversity efforts:
- A founding partner of the Sports Journalism Institute, the nation's premier sports journalism program for diversity. APSE provides an annual grant of $10,000 and member news organizations sponsor graduates with paid, eight-week professional internships.
- Sponsors scholarships worth $2,000 for the Association for Women in Sports Media, including the APSE Mary Garber Scholarship.
- Partners with AWSM at the region level to provide professional development.
- Partners with Hampton University. APSE's annual Day of Diversity at Hampton, a Historically Black College, began in 2009. Through the work of APSE, Scripps Howard Foundation offers $3,000 stipends to two students. The students have been part of the SJI program since 2010 and are placed at APSE member newspapers during the summer internship.
- Sponsors seminars and panels that shed light on gender and racial issues in sports media.
- Commissions bi-annual Racial and Gender Report Card from The Institute for Ethics and Diversity in Sport (TIDES) at the University of Central Florida.
- Hosts and sponsors the Diversity Fellowship Program, a nine-month course of study in management for mid-career professionals.
- Hosts a diverse candidate bank on its website.